In case you are not familiar with prosperity teaching, it may be summarized as an "over-realized eschatology." In other words, prosperity preachers over-emphasize future eternal blessings by promising these blessings in the present life. They wrongly exalt God's gifts (things we receive from God) above God's glory (the treasure we have in God). Often this doctrine teaches that faith, positive thinking/speaking, and donating money to one's Christian ministry will increase one's material wealth and protect them from suffering and disease. Clearly, this is far from the truth, as many faithful Christians around the world are presently suffering for their faith in Christ and are feeling the effects of economic recessions. As David Platt said, "We do not come to Jesus to get health, wealth and prosperity. We come to Jesus to get Jesus." Unfortunately, this false doctrine has been used to to take advantage of the poor, especially in the nations of Africa. At the expense and exploitation of the poor, the rich get richer from their deceitful schemes and unbiblical promises. This should rightly lead Christians to outrage and righteous indignation. Few men have spoken more adamantly and clearly in response to the prosperity gospel than John Piper:
Many of you have probably already seen the previous video. However, a new video has recently emerged that uses rhyme and rap to refute this false teaching and warn those who are caught up in these preachers' deception. Pass this on to those you may know who are in bondage to such false teaching.
The gospel of God's kingdom is not that Jesus will heal all your sicknesses today, but that he will forgive your sins forever. Let us continue to faithfully proclaim the truth with boldness and reverence in the face of false doctrine.
Soli Deo Gloria,
Josh P.

I am not sure where to post this, I thought I had it one time, but I can't seem to find it. Could you please tell me if you con sider yourself a follower of Calvinism, I know you refer to John Piper an awful lot. You have spoken at my church several times. Thank you. Paige
ReplyDeletePaige,
DeleteA good summary of my theological views are found in the Abstract of Principles, which is the original theological document of the Southern Baptist Convention in 1858. You can read it at http://www.founders.org/abstract.html .
I respect John Piper greatly, and while I may not agree with everything he ever said, I do agree with his views on the Doctrines of Grace. You can find out what he actually believes here: http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/articles/what-we-believe-about-the-five-points-of-calvinism/
Thanks for checking out the blog!
JP